The Global Certification Forum (GCF) is the organisational backbone to GCF Certification. Founded in 1999, this membership organisation brings together technical experts from the world's leading Manufacturers, Operators and the Test Industry. Together members define the certification requirements that really work for the industry - because they have been developed by the industry.
Any product incorporating cellular mobile connectivity can be certified:
- Featurephones and Smartphones
- USB Modems
- Portable WiFi Hotspots
- Embedded Modules
- Connected Consumer and M2M/IoT products.
GCF Certification follows the principles of a supplier's declaration of conformity (SDoC) as defined in ISO/IEC 17050.
The GCF scheme evolves in sync with developments in mobile technologies and the changing needs of the industry. It is the only wireless product certification scheme that covers all these technologies:
- LTE (3GPP)
- 3G UMTS (3GPP)
- GSM (3GPP)
- CDMA2000 (3GPP2)
GCF is a Market Representation Partner of 3GPP and is liaising with a number of standards bodies and industry organisations to support the successful development and deployment of 5G.
GCF's current priorities are to reduce industry costs and improve end-user experience by:
- Promoting adoption of GCF certification by the mobile industry in markets where it is not presently used
- Promoting GCF Certification for any product that incorporates mobile connectivity
- Increasing the use of GCF Certification in its current core markets in Asia Pacific, China, Europe and North America,