GCF was founded in 1999, in response to changes in the regulatory environment in Europe, to give operators confidence in the interworking of new mobile devices at a time of rapid technological development and market growth.
For more than a decade, GCF's certification scheme has evolved to keep abreast of the needs of the industry. It is now recognised globally as the de facto standard for device certification.
GCF became a not-for-profit private company limited by guarantee in May 2008. GCF is incorporated in the United Kingdom under the name Global Certification Forum (GCF) Ltd.
GCF is focussed on five key objectives:
- To maintain and strengthen the current scope of GCF and its robust and respected GCF Certification regime.
- To provide a platform for the harmonization of test requirements with the aim of avoiding duplication of testing
- To enable the certification of all devices that include 3GPP Radio Technologies
- To promote the certification of all devices irrespective of the distribution channel
- To ensure GCF Certification is open to other areas of mutual benefit to GCF Members and the industry.