GCF was originally established as a certification scheme for mobile phones based on GSM technology. GCF Certification has continued to evolve in parallel with the mobile telecommunications industry. Today the scheme covers the following mobile telecommunications technolgoies:
- 3G UMTS
- HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+
- 4G / LTE, LTE-Advanced, LTE-Advanced Pro
The adoption of LTE by many of the world's CDMA network operators was a driver in bringing CDMA device certification into GCF.
GCF will extend certification to 5G as the new technical standards are defined.
Extending GCF Certification to new technologies depends on:
- Stable core specifications
- Readiness of test specifications
- Availability of mature reference terminals for test validation
- Timely investment in test platforms from the test industry